UCC Vocational Training Institute is a private institute directly operated and administered by Uganda Children’s Centre (UCC).
Uganda Children’s Centre is an NGO which was formed in 1998 and became officially registered in 2000 typically to address child protection and education of children, women and youth with a Registration Number: S5914/3386. It addresses social issues faced by disadvantaged out of school children and young people and women hailing from poor urban communities. Among its activities, the education program was established to skill youths and women for employment by promoting vocational training, life skills, entrepreneurial and business management and ensures curriculum addresses labour market skills demanded. Unemployment of Youth in Uganda is enormous where 83% of youths are unemployed and urban unemployment is estimated at 12% about seven times that of rural. Causes are: lack of critical skills considered vital for employment, poor attitude and work ethic, lack of entrepreneurial& business management skills, lack of access to productive and financial means that are responsive to youth needs. This has resulted into theft, prostitution, high crime rate among others. By October 2008, Vocational workshops of computer, electrical & electronics, hairdressing, tailoring, carpentry and catering had been established. 1000 students have passed through the sector and are working.
About Vocational Training Institute
The Institute attracts all tribes and religions and it is located in Dubai zone, Makindye division, Kampala District, about 3km from Kibuye along Salaama -Munyonyo Road. The institute enrolls about 250 students per year and it started in 2008. It is accredited by the ministry of education and sports (MOES) and holds membership in Uganda Private Vocational Institutions (UGAPRIVI).
An institute of Excellence, providing self sustaining and employable skills both domestically and regionally.
To enhance and nurture the potential of each trainee to become competitive, skilled, creative, self confident and entrepreneurial entities in our society for sustainable development
• To equip trainees with relevant skills and knowledge to enable them to become job creator hence self reliant.
• To promote quality craftsmanship and service delivery based on professionalism and standardized training that leads to economic development.
• To enhance the integration of vocational skills and application of acquired knowledge for effectively running of business enterprises
• Promoting vocational skills training in the country through offering quality education
• Link trainees with enterprises in private sector for employment opportunities
The academic program is organized according to a term system. The trainees do exams from Directorate of Industrial Training (DIT) and it has a Uganda Vocational Qualification Framework (UVQF) centre. We also do exams from Uganda Business and Technical Examination Board (UBTEB), Early Childhood Development Training Institutions (affiliated to Makerere University) and workers pass Non formal programs and apprenticeship trainings are also part of the program. UCC VTI matches trainings in class with industrial training practice where the trainees get in touch with the practicing entrepreneurs so that they get the skills of entrepreneurship which helps them to build their confidence and self belief that everyone can run his/her own business. At the institute, entrepreneurship and computer training is a must to all our students.
• Electrical installation, Radio, TV repair and electronics
• Early Childhood Development Training (Nursery teaching)
• Hair dressing and beauty
• Tailoring and fashion Design
• Welding and Metal Fabrication
• Carpentry and Joinery
• Computer application
• Motor vehicle mechanics
Craft Certificate Courses
• Electrical installation
• Tailoring and fashion design
• Welding and metal fabrication
• Radio, TV repair and electronics
• Tailor made and modular training courses running 1 to 8 weeks
• Counselling and Guidance
• Adult education
• Hostel facilities available
• Self discovering and talent Development through Music, Dance and Drama
• Industrial training practicum after the training
• Health services
• Counselling services
• Entrepreneurship skills
• Business communication skills
• Literacy and numeracy
• Health education
P.7 Leavers Certificate or It’s Equivalent
Completion of ‘’ A’ Level or its equivalent Craft courses should at least have passed essential subject at ‘’O’’ Level.